Our winter tournament was held on Sunday Feb 3, 2019 at Pine View. For full results table click here.
If you've been curious what official US Chess Federation (USCF) tournaments are like, this is it. Our tournaments are the same format and atmosphere, but do not require USCF membership. No matter your age or ability level, don't be discouraged if you've never been in a tournament before. It's still a fun full afternoon of chess, and the sorting that takes place from one round to the next pairs you up with more and more appropriately matched opponents. After each win you go on to face more challenging competition. After each loss, your competition gets easier, so it's well worth continuing to play, whether you win or lose.
Sections (subject to change based upon final numbers of participants):
- K-3 U500 -- open to students up thru 3rd grade, below 500 rating*
- K-5 U700 -- open to students thru 5th grade, below 700 rating*
- K-8 U900 -- new section for students thru 8th grade, below 900 rating*
- K-12 U1200 -- open to scholastic level players thru 12th grade, below 1200 rating*
- U1600 -- open to adult players and for top student players up to 1600 rating. [If you are above that level, please come play in the new Sarasota Chess Club USCF events.]
* Ratings based on prior SSC tournament results, or a more recent UCSF rating if it is based on at least 15 games. Ratings and grade level cutoffs are subject to change in order to better balance numbers in each section. Please see our Tournament FAQ section for additional explanations about ratings and other tournament features.
- 5 rounds, Swiss System (no elimination-- all players play all five rounds). [We may reduce to 4 rounds if there are 16 players or less in each section.]
- 30 min for each of the first two rounds, then 40 minutes per round. In Sections K-3 and K-5 games not completed by the end of the time alotted will be assessed and decided by a tournament judge.
- Clocks will be used in the top two sections. Time control of G15;d0 in the first two rounds, then G/20;d0 (15 or 20min. per player, no time delay).
$15 discounted early registration until one week before event. Then $20 til Thursday before event. $25 onsite registration from 12noon to 12:30pm day of event. USCF membership not required
- Individual trophies awarded to each of the top 6 places in K-3, K-5, and K-8 scholastic sections
- Cash prizes for top (U1600) section and for K-12 scholastic section (this may change if section divisions are modified)
- Team plaques for top 3 school teams. More info in the Tournament FAQ section.
- Medals for all scholastic participants.
In official US Chess Federation tournaments you are often required to bring your own tournament chess set. Since we know many kids don't own their own regulation sets, we will provide the sets to use in all sections, plus clocks for the Masters/Open and High School sections.
Schedule: (subject to change)
Please note that in order to start promptly at 1pm, we require you to register by 12:30pm. If you can't make it in time for the first round, you can arrange in advance a first round bye (receiving 1/2 pt as if there were a draw). Late registrants may have to forfeit their first round match.
|1:00-1:30pm||1st round (30 min)|
|1:40-2:10pm||2nd round (30 min)|
|2:20-3:00pm||3rd round (40 min)|
|3:10-3:50pm||4th round (40 min)|
|4:00-4:40pm||5th round (40 min)|
Pine View School (in the Student Union/Cafeteria), 1 Python Path, Osprey, FL