SARASOTA AREA SCHOOLS WITH CHESS CLUBS
- Ashton Elementary (K-5) -- Large enthusiastic chess club run by parent Randy Oser.
- Booker Middle School (6-8) -- "War and Pieces" -- Active club headed by parent Chrissy Fic.
- Brickhouse Academy (2-12) -- Chess club headed by Marcy Smith.
- Charlotte Academy (K-8) -- In Port Charlotte.
- Englewood Elementary (K-5)
- Fruitville Elementary (K-5) -- Formerly had a parent-run club.
- Goldie Feldman Academy (K-8) -- Rick Knowlton is their coach, as well as for a couple other local schools.
- Island Village Montessori (K-9, Montessori)-- In Venice, also have a club with some enthusiastic players.
- The NewGate School (K-12, Montessori) -- Formerly had a club. Have a few excellent players.
- The Out of Door Academy (K-12) -- On Siesta Key. Have had clubs in the past.
- Phillippi Shores Elementary (K-5) -- Has had a school chess club since 2006 that meets weekly during the school year. Pam Doty is the teacher sponsor. Dan Bodor has been a parent volunteer and coach since 2008. www.phillippichess.org
- Pine View School (K-12) -- In Osprey. Chess club run by Dr. Paul Dean meeting Wednesdays during lunch, for students 6th grade and up. New club for elementary grades organized by Dan Hersey started in 2017.
- Riverview High School (9-12) -- Active club, sponsored by teacher Michelle Hamill.
- Sarasota High School (9-12) -- No club, but at least a few excellent players.
- Sarasota Middle School (6-8) -- Active club.
- Sarasota Suncoast Academy (K-5) -- have at least a few chess players who participated in our May tournament.
- Southside Elementary (K-5) -- "The Checkmates" -- Active chess club, since 2013. Coached by Rick Knowlton.
- Venice Christian School (preK-12) -- Formerly had a large active club.
- if your school has a club and is not listed, please let us know
MAP OF PARTICIPATING SCHOOLS (as of April 2013):
Each blue marker is a participating school. The purple markers indicate non-school chess sites.
View Suncoast Chess Schools in a larger map